Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As I understand it, a binary relation $R$ over a set $A$ is antisymmetric if for all $a, b \in A: aRb \land bRa$ implies $a = b$.

Now, suppose that I have an equivalence relation $E$ over the set $A$. Is there a term for a relation $R$ over A such that if $aRb$ and $bRa$, then $aEb$? This is similar to the definition of antisymmetry from above, but we use the equivalence relation $E$ instead of straight equality.


share|improve this question
The expression "antisymmetric up to equivalence" is used in at least some publications. –  joriki Sep 27 '11 at 17:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.