Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Hope it's not too stupid: is there any general approach to partial fraction expansion when the degrees of polynomials in the numerator are unknown?

share|improve this question
Hard to tell. Did you have a specific example in mind? –  J. M. Sep 26 '11 at 3:11
The first step would be to divide the numerator by the denominator and worry only about the remainder. The remainder has degree smaller than the denominator. –  Srivatsan Sep 26 '11 at 3:16
@JM: something like $\frac{a_k +b_k}{s_{k}p_{k}}=\frac{A_k}{s_{k}}+\frac{B_{k}}{p_{k}}$ I realize it may be a bit vague, but i'm thinking only about a general approach, if there is one, of course. –  sigma.z.1980 Sep 27 '11 at 6:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.