Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let A be a set of finite elements.


If I want to remove one element and show I removed one element, how should I do?

Pseudo mathematical notation:

$A - \{2\} = \{1,3,4,5\}$

Thank you very much!


share|cite|improve this question
People often prefer to write $A\setminus\{2\}$ or $A \smallsetminus \{2\}$ to simply $A -\{2\}$ but what you wrote is fine. See here for example where \setminus $\setminus$ is used. – t.b. Sep 18 '11 at 17:45
Why is your notation psuedo-mathematical? – Srivatsan Sep 18 '11 at 17:45
i thought it wasn't mathematical enough to be mathematical – graphtheory92 Sep 18 '11 at 18:21
Somehow, the previous comments sound like a Zen koan. – Ilmari Karonen Sep 18 '11 at 18:48
This is a case where you stumbled onto acceptable terminology. But even if you hadn't you can always write "For the purpose of this exercise I am going to define the notation A - B where A and B are sets as ...." – fleablood Nov 16 '15 at 23:44

Your notation above is actually used in set theory.

In general if you have two sets $A$ and $B$, the difference $A - B$ is the set

$A - B = \{x \in A : x \notin B\}$

Also, note that $\{1, 2, 3, 4, 5\} - \{2, 6\} = \{1,3,4,5\}$. $B$ need not be a subset of $A$.

share|cite|improve this answer
One reason to prefer $A \setminus B$ is that I've also seen $A - B$ occasionally used for the set $\{a-b: a \in A, b \in B\}$. That is, by that definition $\{1,2,3,4,5\} - \{2,6\} = \{-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3\}$. Of course, there's no problem as long as you explain which definition you're using, but $A \setminus B$ avoids that ambiguity completely. – Ilmari Karonen Sep 18 '11 at 18:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.