Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider the continuously differentiable vector field in ${\mathbb R}^3$: $$ F:{\mathbb R}^3\to{\mathbb R}^3,\qquad F(x,y,z)=(U,V,W) $$ where $$ U,V,W:{\mathbb R}^3\to{\mathbb R}. $$ According to the wikipedia article for divergence, the divergence of the vector field $F$ at the point $p\in {\mathbb R}^3$ is defined as $$ \text{div} F(p):=\lim_{V\to\{p\}}\iint\limits_{S(V)}\frac{F\cdot n}{|V|}dS. $$ This formula is of much clearer meaning in physics. Here is my question:

Is it because the divergence theorem that people call $\nabla \cdot F$ divergence? Or is there any direct calculation in physics that leads to the quantity $\nabla\cdot F$?

share|improve this question
I'm not sure about the reason for the name, but physically the divergence should tell you the rate at which the density enters or leaves a given space –  Deven Ware Sep 14 '11 at 15:58

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Look up "Divergence" at http://jeff560.tripod.com/d.html

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.