Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Given are two forms of one mathematical problem :

  • (ambivalent) Find either a proof that statement S is true, or a proof that statement S is false.

  • (definite) Find a proof of statement S.

For example, S could be a plausible conjecture, or a problem on an examination.

Is there a term with a precise formal interpretation, such as generalization, disambiguation, restriction, or lazy (as in "lazy evaluation") that correctly describes the relationship between the two formulations?

Dichotomies that are imprecise (such as strong/weak, or definite/indefinite) or describe each of the two types of question alone without stating a precise relationship between them (such as ambivalent/unequivocal, bivalent/univalent, or stereo/mono) do not satisfy the criterion. The bivalent version of the problem about proving X, and the unequivocal task of proving Y, are indeed of different types but I am asking about the case X=Y where a term such as subproblem might describe how to get from one version to the other.

share|cite|improve this question

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.