Sign up ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a concise name for the function $f_n(x)\colon\mathbb{C}\to\mathbb{C}$ which returns the principal $n$th root of $x$, except in the case when $n$ is odd and $x$ is a negative real number, in which case the real root is returned?

share|cite|improve this question

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.