Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hello I have some problems with formal notations, I have to sum (do the union?) of two sets and the sum (union?) of a set and a row of a matrix, is this notation correct?

1) Imagine $T_1 = \{1,2\}$ and $T_2 = \{2,3\}$, will \begin{equation} \Sigma^{2}_{i=1}T_i \end{equation} give me $\{1, 2, 3\}$ ? or should I use a different notation?

2) Imagine an adjacency matrix $n · n$ called $A$ and consider the first row $[1,j]A$ as [0,0,1,0,2] and I want to transform it in a set and add the elements in a set of the previous T, for example imagine $T_1=\{1,4\}$, will

\begin{equation} T_1 + [1,j]A \end{equation} give me $\{0,1,2,4\}$ ? or should I use a different notation?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

1) No, that doesn't work. I'm not sure what $x$ is, but the output of $\sum$ is a number, not a set. What you want to use instead is the union, where a large union can be denoted by

$$U_1 = \bigcup_{i=1}^2 \ T_i = T_1 \cup T_2 = \{1,2\} \cup \{2,3\} = \{1,2,3\}$$

2) Again, use the cup. If $A(1,\cdot)$ is the set of the elements of the first row of $A$, then

$$U_2 = A(1,\cdot) \cup T_1 = \{0,0,1,0,2\} \cup \{1,4\} = \{0,1,2,4\}$$

Representing a row of a matrix as a set is not so common though. Better may be

$$U_2 = \bigcup_{j=1}^n \{A_{1,j}\} \cup T_1 = \{0,0,1,0,2\} \cup \{1,4\} = \{0,1,2,4\}$$

where $A_{i,j}$ is the entry in the matrix $A$ at position $i,j$.

share|cite|improve this answer
how do I do minus in sets? – graphtheory92 Sep 12 '11 at 12:50
@Nicola: The setwise minus is written as $A \setminus B = \{x \in A: x \notin B\}$ (i.e. consists of elements in $A$ but not in $B$). Finally the intersection is written as a cap: $A \cap B = \{x \in A: x \in B\}$ (i.e. consists only of elements both in $A$ and $B$), and for the intersection you also have a bigger sign for large intersections: $\bigcap_{i=1}^n A_i = A_1 \cap A_2 \cap \ldots \cap A_n$. – TMM Sep 12 '11 at 13:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.