Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Has there been any mathematical study of the "optimum" lengths for a gauge block set? What do you call such a set of lengths?

I'm looking for something analogous the way different ways of "optimizing" the marks on a ruler lead to different kinds of sparse ruler. And analogous to the way various ways of "optimizing" other sets of things leads to various sets of numbers called preferred number.

share|improve this question

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.