Sign up ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently came across an algorithm that works on values assuming that they are draw from a monoid equipped with a total ordering relation. I was wondering if there is a term for such a structure, since it seems related to concepts like Euclidean domains and fields (though the requirements are much less strict). Does this entity have a name? Or is it just "a monoid over totally ordered elements?"


share|cite|improve this question
It's probably only an interesting structure if the ordering is in some way compatible with the monoid operation. Is it? And if so, how? – Henning Makholm Sep 6 '11 at 1:12
Yes ordered monoid / semigroup, presuming you mean order respecting operations. One should always Google the obvious terms before asking a question, since more focused questions usually yield more helpful answers. – Bill Dubuque Sep 6 '11 at 1:13
@Bill Dubuque- My apologies if this was too obvious. I had indeed looked for this structure, but since I didn't know the right term I didn't find it. Thanks for the tip! – templatetypedef Sep 6 '11 at 3:22

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

As was mentioned in @Bill Dubuque's post, the term for this is an ordered monoid (or ordered semigroup in the case of semigroups).

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.