Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I only knew this angle symbol "$\angle$", which is usually used to represent acute angles. But now I have accounted a problem, where I wanted to represent the reflex symbol of $\angle ABC$.

I know, I can simply say "The reflex $\angle$ of $\angle ABC$" or "2$\pi$ - $\angle ABC$", but is there a symbol for reflex angle, just for interest?

share|cite|improve this question
I think you mean $\angle$ tends to represent angles $0\le |\angle|\le \pi$ (not entirely sure what the term is for that) – Tim Ratigan Dec 15 '13 at 12:14
yep! you are correct! – Daniel Cheung Dec 15 '13 at 12:28
up vote 0 down vote accepted

If allowed to handwrite (or in this case to use a drawing software), I would use something similar to reflex angle$\large ABC$. Not sure if this is standard notation or if there is some $\LaTeX$ glyph for that.

The point is that you can invent the symbol you want and use it consistently... the only two matters are

  1. Is it clear? In case of doubt define it and problem solved.
  2. Can I typeset it? In this case there are always workarounds.
share|cite|improve this answer
thank you very much! i have thought to use that, but didn't know if it is ok :) – Daniel Cheung Dec 15 '13 at 14:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.