Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A homework question recently asked for me to simplify:

$\frac{1}{\sqrt{7}} \div {7}$

It's easy to see that this becomes


But according to wolfram alpha this is also equal to $\frac{\sqrt{7}}{49}$.

What sequence of steps can I use to get the second representation of this quantity from the first?

share|cite|improve this question
$$\frac{1}{7\sqrt{7}}\cdot \frac{\sqrt{7}}{\sqrt{7}}.$$ – Daniel Fischer Dec 8 '13 at 14:52
Multiply both numerator and denominator bt Sqrt[7] and simplify the denominator [7 Sqrt(7) Sqrt(7)] = 7 7 = 49 – Claude Leibovici Dec 8 '13 at 14:52
If you replace 7 by x, you have the same solution – Claude Leibovici Dec 8 '13 at 15:04
up vote 3 down vote accepted


share|cite|improve this answer

$$\frac{1}{7\sqrt{7}} =\frac{\sqrt{7}}{7\sqrt{7}\cdot\sqrt{7}}=\frac{\sqrt{7}}{7\cdot7}=\frac{\sqrt{7}}{49}$$

share|cite|improve this answer

This is called denominator rationalization. You multiply numerator and denominator with the same root, so you effectively move from denominator into the numerator.

share|cite|improve this answer

It is just an arithmetic. Just multiply the denominator and numerator by x. Then you're done.

share|cite|improve this answer
This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post - you can always comment on your own posts, and once you have sufficient reputation you will be able to comment on any post. – Dennis Gulko Dec 8 '13 at 15:57
@DennisGulko: This seems to be about the same as another answer. – robjohn Dec 8 '13 at 23:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.