Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What are the differences in mathematical notation around the world? I know that in some other countries they write 1,2 meaning 1.2, but what else can be confusing in an academic environment (when people are doing math on a board or on paper).

share|cite|improve this question
some guys (from England I guess) even write $1\cdot 2$ to mean $1.2$. strange! – Alexander Grothendieck Nov 29 '13 at 17:55
@000 that can be quite confusing indeed, since $\cdot$ is (at least sometimes/somewhere) used as multiplication instead of $\times$ – Algebraic Pavel Nov 29 '13 at 18:09
I think it is less probable to find differences in rather modern academic parts of mathematics, as there are limited widely used textbooks and scientific publication makes things more similar. – hhsaffar Nov 29 '13 at 18:22
Actually the "British" centred decimal is like $1\!\cdot\!2$, with no spacing, which was easy to typeset but is laborious in the LaTeX era. – John Bentin Nov 29 '13 at 21:48
up vote 4 down vote accepted

As seen here, in some countries a diagonal bar is used before the function to denote evaluation (not sure if it's in general or just in the integration case). That is: $$ \int_{0}^1 x\,dx=\mathop{\Big/}\nolimits_{\hspace{-2mm}0}^{\hspace{1mm}1}\frac{x^2}{2} $$ is used instead of what many users here would find to be the convention: $$ \int_{0}^1 x\,dx=\frac{x^2}{2}\mathop{\Big|}\nolimits_{0}^{1}. $$

Then you also, of course, have different ways of denoting derivatives - Leibniz', Euler's, Newton's, etc...

share|cite|improve this answer

Long division has different notations in different countries.Wikipedia has examples: Long division in Wikipedia

share|cite|improve this answer

I've noticed that Anglo-Saxons use $\displaystyle{n\choose k}$ instead of $C_n^k$ for combinations or binomial coefficients. Also, repeated decimals are placed between (...) instead of being overlined, which helps avoid errors.

share|cite|improve this answer
It is not just the Anglo-Saxons. By the way, these are not combinations, they just count combinations. You don't call $n!$ a permutation either. – Marc van Leeuwen Nov 30 '13 at 11:25
The left symbol is more or less standard notation, actually this is the first time I see the right symbol. – Alexander Grothendieck Nov 30 '13 at 13:12
@ooo: QED. :-) In most European countries, it's pretty much the other way around. The symbol on the right is the standard, and the one on the left usually means a matrix or vector. – Lucian Nov 30 '13 at 15:13
@MarcvanLeeuwen: But they are called combinations. :-) Really. – Lucian Nov 30 '13 at 15:15
@Lucian I don't agree (under the assumption that Germany is a European country), though the distinction from a column vector is indeed hard. – Hagen von Eitzen Apr 19 '14 at 20:25

Function composition, in the context of group theory (a permutation is a bijection from a set onto itself), can be written




The latter seems to be (or have been) used by some anglo-saxon mathematicians, and appears in books by Burnside, and Passman.

Also, matrix transpose is denoted $^tA$ in France, while it seems to be $A^T$ mostly everywhere else. This can be confusing when you write a product: $AB^TA^{-1}$ is of course not the same as $AB^tA^{-1}$.

share|cite|improve this answer
Interesting what you say about Burnside. Btw the matrix transpose notation is used also in Fischer's Lineare Algebra, which is unfortunately a standard book in Germany (unfortunately because he does not even prove the existence of bases, the book is really terrible). But maybe this is just a coincidence as this guy basically invents his own notation. – Alexander Grothendieck Nov 30 '13 at 13:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.