Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name for 2D transformation with the least squares adjustment having the following parameters:

shift_x, shift_y, scale.

Transformation does not use any rotation... Thanks for your help.

share|cite|improve this question
Do you mean an affine transformation? All transformations of the form you've mentioned are affine, though affine transformations can include rotations too. – Billy Aug 19 '11 at 16:31
I'm not aware of any exact term; I would just call it a composition of a translation and a scaling. Although if you consider "affine transformation", then "similarity transformation" would be more specific as it rules out shearing. – Rahul Aug 19 '11 at 16:34
I wonder, if this transformation has the exact name (like Helmert...). It belongs to the group of affine transformations. – johnas Aug 19 '11 at 16:36
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Homothety, or homothetic transformation

share|cite|improve this answer
See here: – Christian Blatter Aug 19 '11 at 19:11
Thanks... And greetings to Israel, just I am reading a book from Amos Oz :-). – johnas Aug 19 '11 at 19:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.