Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was wondering if there is a simple formula to change an S-curve to have a flat area in the middle.

I am using the formula..


Where $B$ is the steepness of the curve.

This gives me a normal S-curve.

BUT i also want a curve to go up to a flat area then continue to go up. Eg..

I am not sure if this is still called a S-Curve but i am unsure of what to google.


share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You can do this by adding two of what you call an "S-curve":

$$y=\frac1{1+\mathrm e^{B_1-x}}+\frac1{1+\mathrm e^{B_2-x}}\;.$$

The coefficients $B$ in your expression and $B_1$ and $B_2$ in mine are not the steepness of the curve; they control where on the $x$-axis the rise occurs. You can introduce variable steepnesses $A_1$ and $A_2$ and variable total increases $C_1$ and $C_2$ like this:

$$y=\frac{C_1}{1+\mathrm e^{A_1(B_1-x)}}+\frac{C_2}{1+\mathrm e^{A_2(B_2-x)}}\;.$$

Here $B_1$ and $B_2$ are still the midpoints of the two rising flanks.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you that worked really well. – Sprouts Aug 9 '11 at 9:27

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.