Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the name of the equation or keyword associated with a way to take x number of rectangles and have them fill a space with differing sizes

share|improve this question
Tessellation? –  t.b. Aug 1 '11 at 1:49
Packing? Bin-packing? –  Gerry Myerson Aug 1 '11 at 1:56
Is squaring the square what you're looking for? The "differing sizes" you mentioned led me to think you could mean this –  Michael Banaszek Aug 1 '11 at 2:44
Another commonly used word is tiling. –  André Nicolas Aug 1 '11 at 4:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.