Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can't find this online from a simple search, and I cannot remember.

Given two curves/path $C$ and $D$, what is the notation for path concatenation when describing a path integral? Here are some ideas I came up with. Is there a canonical notation?

  • $\int_{CD} f \cdot d\vec r$
  • $\int_{C+D} f \cdot d\vec r$
  • $\int_{C \circ D} f \cdot d\vec r$
share|cite|improve this question
Since they're conceived of as sets of points, the "concatenation" would presumably be their set union $C\cup D$... – anon Jul 29 '11 at 17:18
Makes sense. If you post that as an answer, I will accept it. – Michael Chen Sep 4 '11 at 15:13
I don't think there's a canonical notation. However, the notation $C + D$ makes a lot of sense in the context of singular homology. – Jesse Madnick Sep 4 '11 at 19:05
up vote 0 down vote accepted

The paths are each considered sets of points, so concatenating them (gluing them together or using them as separate components both in the integration) involves taking all of the points of the paths jointly, which would be the set union $C\cup D$. I believe I've seen this notation in integrals but I can't remember a specific source off the top of my head. Note that if $C$ and $D$ share a measurable piece of curve together (or space generally for multivariable integrals), $\oint_{C\cup D}$ will only integrate over it once instead of twice like $\oint_C+\oint_D$ would.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.