Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have the following sequences that form a relationship:

x: 1 2 3 4 5
y: 1 2 4 8 16

Where each number in the second sequence is twice the previous number.

Is there a formula that will give me the correct value of y for a given value of x? Does it have a name, and how could I have gone about working this out for myself?

Many thanks in advance.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You have $y=2^{x-1}$ and some characters

share|cite|improve this answer
Wow, it's so simple when one can see it. Is this just something you know? – Neil Barnwell Jul 25 '11 at 15:49
When the ratio of consecutive terms is constant (2, in this case), it is called geometric, and has the form $y = x_0r^{x-h}$, where $x_0$ is the first term and $r$ is the ratio. – The Chaz 2.0 Jul 25 '11 at 15:52
@Neil: When you say each number is double the previous, that makes $2^n$ come to mind. But checking that is off by a factor $2$, which is corrected by the $-1$ – Ross Millikan Jul 25 '11 at 15:53
Ross Thanks so much for your swift answer. @The Chaz - thank you for your helpful explanation. – Neil Barnwell Jul 25 '11 at 15:57
@Neil: Anytime! – The Chaz 2.0 Jul 25 '11 at 16:04

$y = 2^{x-1}$. This is a geometric sequence.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.