Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm a little confused about set builder notation. If I have one set, how do I construct another set from the first set, supposing that I want to alter all the elements?

For example,

Let there be a set $A = \{1,2,3,4,5\}$

and I want to construct, from $A$, a set $B = \{\sqrt{1},\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3},\sqrt{4},\sqrt{5}\}$.

What is the correct notation to do this? Surely it isn't $B = \{a \in A | \sqrt{a}\}$?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Not quite. You'd want $$\{\sqrt{a} | a \in A\}$$

The elements come first, then the qualification.

share|cite|improve this answer
I see. My confusion came from the fact that I thought that the first part had to indicate the origin set. – Newb Oct 23 '13 at 4:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.