Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Consider a function $f : A \times B \to C$ and two inverses, each with respect to one argument; i.e. $g$ and $h$ defined such that $f(x,y)=z \iff g(y,z)=x \iff h(z,x)=y$. A simple example is addition:

$$ f(x,y) = x+y \\ g(y,z) = z-y \\ h(z,x) = z-x $$

Such collections can of course be generalized to any number of arguments.

Is there a name for $g$ and $h$? (It's not "partial inverse," though that would be a great name for them, analogous to "partial derivative.")

I believe they exist if $f$ is continuous, surjective, and monotone in each argument. Under what other conditions do they exist?

In general, what search terms should I use to find properties about them?

share|cite|improve this question
Should this get moved to – Neil Toronto Oct 21 '13 at 4:11
Asked at (…) – Neil Toronto Oct 23 '13 at 21:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.