Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've always wanted to know what the name of the vertical bar in these examples was:

$f(x)=(x^2+1)\vert_{x = 4}$ (I know this means evaluate $x$ at $4$)

$\int_0^4 (x^2+1) \,dx = \left.\left(\frac{x^3}{3}+x+c\right) \right\vert_0^4$ (and I know this means that you would then evaluate at $x=0$ and $x=4$, then subtract $F(4)-F(0)$ if finding the net signed area)

I know it seems trivial, but it's something I can't really seem to find when I go googling and the question came up in my calc class last night and no one seemed to know.

Also, for bonus internets; What is the name of the horizontal bar in $\frac{x^3}{3}$? Is that called an obelus?

share|cite|improve this question
I don't know if it has a name, and if it does, I don't know how useful that information would be to you for talking about mathematics (since I am pretty sure most people would not recognize it). – Qiaochu Yuan Jul 20 '11 at 14:58
"bonus internets" - ??? Are these the internets that Al Gore didn't invent ? – The Chaz 2.0 Jul 20 '11 at 15:07
As Qiaochu Y. notes, knowing a Latinate name would not help in actual communication, since it is pronounced "evaluated at" in math. Maybe "pipe" in computer science, but that's unrelated. The double vertical line does have a Latinate name, "vel", which is just "or" in Latin. Horizontal lines for grouping (as in large fractions, but also in radicals) are "vinculi" (singular "vinculum"). But no one calls them that. Latin's former status as prestige language seems fading, the way the Sumerian language's prestige for Egypt and Mesopotamia seems to be long gone. – paul garrett Jul 20 '11 at 15:20
@paul garrett I know it wouldn't help in communication, but I just want to know for the sake of knowing. – OghmaOsiris Jul 20 '11 at 15:23
Why the vote to close for too localized? This question is about the terminology of a widely used symbol... How is that localized? – OghmaOsiris Jul 20 '11 at 16:00
up vote 7 down vote accepted

This may be called Evaluation bar. See, in particular, here (Evaluation Bar Notation:).

share|cite|improve this answer
Example 1: Page 2, third item from the end, here:… – Shai Covo Jul 20 '11 at 15:20
Example 2: Page 2, item 5, here: – Shai Covo Jul 20 '11 at 15:28
Example 3: You can the sentence "and I couldn't figure out how to make the "evaluation bar" immediately to the right of the uv terms any bigger", here: – Shai Covo Jul 20 '11 at 15:35
I like this name. +1 just for that XD – Patrick Da Silva Jul 20 '11 at 15:39
@Patrick: Thanks. Apparently, this is standard terminology. – Shai Covo Jul 20 '11 at 15:46

Jeff Miller calls it "bar notation" in his Earliest Uses of Symbols of Calculus (see below). The bar denotes an evaluation functional, a concept whose importance comes to the fore when one studies duality of vector spaces (e.g. such duality plays a key role in the Umbral Calculus).

The bar notation to indicate evaluation of an antiderivative at the two limits of integration was first used by Pierre Frederic Sarrus (1798-1861) in 1823 in Gergonne’s Annales, Vol. XIV. The notation was used later by Moigno and Cauchy (Cajori vol. 2, page 250).

Below is the cited passage from Cajori

enter image description here enter image description here

share|cite|improve this answer

In my calculus book, the vertical bar is called the "evaluation symbol", and this phrase is bolded when first mentioned. It makes sense, I suppose.

Copy paste from wikipedia: Division is often shown in algebra and science by placing the dividend over the divisor with a horizontal line, also called a vinculum or fraction bar, between them.

share|cite|improve this answer
+15 internets to you, sir. – OghmaOsiris Jul 20 '11 at 19:22

In the wikipedia article for the symbol no name for this particular use of it is mentioned, just that it is read as, simply, "evaluated at". It has a number of suggested names for the symbol from different situations though:

verti-bar, vbar, stick, vertical line, vertical slash, or bar, think colon, poley or divider line

share|cite|improve this answer
I saw that, which is another reason why I asked my question. – OghmaOsiris Jul 20 '11 at 15:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.