Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I apologise for the really basic question. This didn't really fit on any other StackExchange website so the Maths one was the closest one where I could ask.

Really Basic Question- What are 4 sided shapes called again?

Like how triangles are 3 sided shapes, octagons are 8 sided shapes, ... What are the 4 sided ones called then?

share|cite|improve this question
Kinda weird - triangle, quadrilateral, pentagon, ... In Germany, we just say Dreieck, Viereck, Fünfeck (three-edge, four-edge, five-edge) ;) – Dario Sep 22 '10 at 12:15
I Am Not A German -- but shouldn't that be three-corner, four-corner, five-corner? – TonyK Sep 22 '10 at 14:41
@TonyK: Why? For any shape where each corner (or vertex) meets exactly 2 edges, you're going to have the same number of edges as the number of corners, so it doesn't matter which one you count. Even this question is termed in "number of sides" which are edges. – Dan Sep 22 '10 at 16:06
Um...'Eck' means 'corner'. – TonyK Sep 22 '10 at 19:59

Shorter version is "quadrangle".

share|cite|improve this answer
Or even shorter, "tetragon". – Paul R Sep 22 '10 at 13:59
Wouldn't "tetragon" imply equality of angles? – Victor Sorokin Sep 22 '10 at 14:54
Only of its regular. – Dennis Williamson Sep 22 '10 at 20:36

Wait, never mind. It's quadrilateral. :)

share|cite|improve this answer

I have a draft article where I 'should' use 'quadrilateral' dozens of times. I refuse, stating up front that I will use 'quad' instead.

share|cite|improve this answer
As long as I was in that position, I would be tempted to use something ridiculous, like "fourgon". – Niel de Beaudrap Sep 22 '10 at 14:50
@Neil de B: I am guided by two principles which are somewhat in conflict here - 1) to use standard terminology, and 2) to avoid overburdening the reader. Following (2), I shorten 'quadrilateral' to 'quad'. And it doesn't trample (1), as it's just shorthand, and not likely to cause confusion. – Dan Moore Sep 22 '10 at 19:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.