Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name or notation for a Zariski closed set in $\mathbb{C}^n$ which when intersected with $\mathbb{R}^n$ has non-trivial dimension?

For example for $n=2$, if $f(x,y) = (x^2 + 1)(x^2 + y^2 - 1)$ then is there a name for sets like $\{(x,y) \in \mathbb{C}^2:f(x,y) = 0\} \cap \mathbb{R}^2 = \{(x,y) : x^2 + y^2 = 1\}$?

share|cite|improve this question
Can you give us an example? – Matt Jul 17 '11 at 21:02
Thanks! Some $n$'s appeared. – Matt Jul 17 '11 at 21:52

There is in fact a definition of such sets, they are called the set of real points of an algebraic set. Let $I \subset \mathbb{R}[x_1,\dots,x_n]$ a polynomial ideal, let $V(I)$ the algebraic set defined by $I$ over $\mathbb{C}$ and write $V_\mathbb{R}(I) = V(I)\cap \mathbb{R}^n$. The affine algebra $A = \mathbb{R}/I$ is called the $\mathbb{R}$-coordinate ring of $V_\mathbb{R}(I)$. We have the following theorem, known as the Weak Real Nullstellensatz

Theorem. $A$ is semireal if and only if $V_\mathbb{R}(I)\neq \emptyset$

The theorem is valid over a more general context, the notion of a real closed set wich is the starting point of Real Algebraic Geometry, you can check this theory on the book of Bochnak, Coste and Roy Real Algebraic Geometry.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.