Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like to know the name of this kind of polynomial


where the $a_{i}\in\lbrace0,1\rbrace$.


share|cite|improve this question
Why would they have a special name? – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Sep 21 '10 at 16:46
People call them 0-1 polynomials, I think. – Qiaochu Yuan Sep 21 '10 at 16:58
@Mariano, This is a special case of a monic polynomial, so I thought it might have a specific name. – Neves Sep 21 '10 at 17:10
@A.Neves: but there are plenty of good reasons to privilege monic polynomials, e.g. their definition is invariant under translation, they are closely related to integral extensions, etc. This definition does not really have the same kind of conceptual properties. – Qiaochu Yuan Sep 21 '10 at 17:15
@A.Neves, if that is the case, you may be interested in knowing (or, of course, you may already know!) that cyclotomic polynomials do have coefficients which are not 0 or 1 (or -1). There is a 2 in the 105th cyclotomic polynomial. – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Sep 21 '10 at 22:07
up vote 13 down vote accepted

They're known as Newman polynomials. They are often studied in contexts where one is interested in learning what interesting consequences result from placing such restrictions on the coefficients, for example see here. Erdos and Littlewoood posed several questions about the effects this has on the minimum modulus of the polynomial on the unit circle, e.g. see this paper.

share|cite|improve this answer
Here is an interesting paper "Zeros of polynomials with 0,1 coefficients", A. M. Odlyzko and B. Poonen – Neves Sep 21 '10 at 20:02
Another link The Beauty of Roots, John Baez – Neves Sep 23 '10 at 10:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.