Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is a terminology question.

Consider two morphisms $X \to Y, X \to Z$. Consider all such "wedges" of morphisms $X' \to Y, X' \to Z$ dominated by $X$, i.e. endowed with a morphism $X \to X'$ (and so that the natural diagram commutes). Let $\bar X$ be the "minimal" such wedge, i.e. such that for any wedge $X'$ there is a morphism $X' \to \bar{X}$ (so that the diagrams completed with morphisms to $Y$ and to $Z$ commute).

Is there a common name for $\bar X$?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Yes: $\bar{X}$ is the product of $Y$ and $Z$ in the category of objects under $X$. If the cartesian product $Y \times Z$ exists in the original category then $\bar{X}$ is that product.

share|cite|improve this answer
thanks! Though that $\bar X$ is in general $Y \times Z$ cannot be true, I think (unless $X$ is initial) – Dima Sustretov Sep 24 '13 at 18:43
is it the most specific term? (what I mean is that, for example, products and coproducts are certain kinds of limits, but one rarely uses the term "limit" when talking about products and co-product) – Dima Sustretov Sep 24 '13 at 18:46
Well, if you don't demand that the morphism making the diagrams commute be unique then it isn't necessarily a product. You could call it a "weak" product. – Zhen Lin Sep 24 '13 at 18:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.