Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm studying for SOA Exam C and I was recently introduced to this notation for a minimum $\land$. For example, if there is an limit for how much insurance can be paid out, that limit is $u$ and then if the random variable $X$ is less than $u$ that's the claim amount. The notation for a claim like this put as $X\land u$. But what's this upper cased lamda called? I almost want to read it as "X lamda u".

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It is read as the minimum(X,u) ( the minimum of X and u). $X\wedge U = \min(X,u)$ which is the minimum of $X$ and $u$. Just another notation for the same thing.

share|cite|improve this answer

It's not a lambda, it's a wedge. This particular notation comes from the context of lattices, so one might pronounce it "meet".

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.