Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a certain category. I feel it is better to study the functor $x\mapsto f\circ x$ (where $\circ$ is the composition in my category) than the morphism $f$ itself.

  1. How is it called when a morphism $f$ is replaced with the functor $x\mapsto f\circ x$? Is it Yoneda embedding?

  2. Should I take only endomorphisms on the source of $f$ for $x$ (or all morphisms whose destination is equal to the source of $f$)?

But isn't it a partial functor? It takes only these $x$ that $\operatorname{Dst} x=\operatorname{Src} f$ (or even only some endomorphisms if we restrict). Is there are name for such partial functors? (I've never heard about partial functors, but now I feel this topic is important.)

share|cite|improve this question
I've realized that if it is defined only for endomorphisms on the source of $f$, it can nevertheless be continued (in a definite way) for all morphisms whose destination is equal to the source of $f$ (by composing with the identity morphism). So these are bijective, and I think I should introduce a notation for both. – porton Sep 21 '13 at 15:57

This is mostly called the hom functor.

For each fixed object $A$, we have $\hom(A,-)$ which takes the morphism $f$ to the map $x\mapsto f\circ x$ (for morphisms $x:A\to\mathrm{Src}\,f$).

If we let $A$ vary, we arrive to the full hom functor $\hom(-,-):\mathcal C^{op}\times\mathcal C\to\mathcal Set$.

If $f:U\to V$ is fixed, it yields to a natural transformation $\hom(-,U) \,\to\,\hom(-,V)$.

If $A$ is also fixed therein, it is just a function $\hom(A,U)\to\hom(A,V)$.

Well, the Yoneda embedding is indeed something like this, it maps an object $X$ to the functor $\hom(-,X)$ and a morphism $U\to V$ to a natural transformation $\ \hom(-,U)\to\hom(-,V)$.

share|cite|improve this answer
In fact, we might even call that natural transformation $\hom(-,f)$. – Hurkyl Sep 23 '13 at 11:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.