Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to convert a decimal number into base $3$ number.

$47_{10} ~~\mbox{is}~~ 1202_{3}$.

But how do you represent a negative number in base $3$ notation like $-297$?

please include a example

share|cite|improve this question
Prefix it with a minus sign? $-102000_3$? – Daniel Fischer Sep 17 '13 at 12:43
A similar question here… – Ömer Sep 17 '13 at 12:45

Just put a minus sign in front of it. By definition, in base 10 $47 + (-47) = 0$; therefore, $1202_3 + (-1202_3) = 0$ and so $-47_{10}$ is $-1202_3$.

share|cite|improve this answer

or you can use 2's compliment and 3's complement which are 2 other ways to represent positive or negative in base 3.

2's compliment base 3 is like 1's compliment in binary and 3's compliment in base 3 is like 2's compliment in binary.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.