Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name for the tetrahedron/pyramid (four vertices, four triangular faces, six edges) where three edges meet orthogonally at a point? Three of the faces are right triangles.

Another description: taking $\vec e_1,\vec e_2,\vec e_3$ as the standard basis vectors of $\mathbb{R}^3$, the vertices are $\vec 0,c_1\vec e_1,c_2\vec e_2,c_3\vec e_3$. The faces are composed of the coordinate planes with the plane $x/c_1 + y/c_2 + z/c_3 = 1$.

share|cite|improve this question
In Coxeter's book it is called an orthoscheme. – Will Jagy Jun 23 '11 at 15:37
I've also seen this figure just called a 'right tetrahedron', by analogy with 'right triangle', and that's probably the first name that I would use for it in informal math writing. – Steven Stadnicki Jun 23 '11 at 16:30
up vote 3 down vote accepted

According to Wolfram's Mathworld, it's called a trirectangular tetrahedron.

share|cite|improve this answer

A right-cornered tetrahedron.

share|cite|improve this answer

A common name is rectangular tetrahedron.

share|cite|improve this answer

Any solid polytope of the form $\sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{x_i}{a_i} \leq 1$, where $a_i > 0$ is called a solid, orthotopal, simplicial $n$-polytope and can also be written as the convex hull $\mathbf{conv} \{ \mathbf{0}, a_1 \mathbf{e}_1, \dots, a_n \mathbf{e}_n \}$. For $n = 3$, it is called a solid trirectangular tetrahedron. If you mean the boundary complex, then simply trirectangular tetrahedron is fine.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.