Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A while ago, I was searching for a TeX package which would provide a double integral symbol with a circle which I could use to typeset some lecture notes on surface integrals. I happened upon the esint package, which includes several integral symbols I had never seen before. In particular, integral symbols with a square (\sqint and \sqiint), a sloped dash (\fint) and the very curious \landupint and \landdownint. Is anyone familiar with any uses for these symbols?

Added (TB) Here's an image of the integral signs in question:

integral signs

share|cite|improve this question

The one with the sloped dash is sometimes used to denote integral averages:

\fint_A $f(x)d\mu(x) = \frac{1}{\mu(A)} \int_{A} f(x) d\mu(x)$

share|cite|improve this answer

Well, \sqint is the quaternion integral and \fint is used for integral averages, if memory serves. I'll have to look around for the others, though.

share|cite|improve this answer

The circles with arrows are useful for contour-integrals in complex analysis.

The \landupint and \landdonwint are probably used to expres contourintegrals that go around a singularity by integrating around the boundary of half of a circle ($\partial B(x,\epsilon)$) and letting $\epsilon\to 0$. I've never seen that symbol being used in practice, but it's what the picture suggests.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.