Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to refer to this quantity in a report, but I do not know what it is called. Basically if a dataset say:

$D = \{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10\}$ has $10$ elements in total so $|D| = 10$ and I take a sample say: $S = \{1,3,4,10\}$, the sample has 4 elements so $|S| = 4$

What is $|S|/|D| = 0.4$ called? Is this named in a specific way in statistics?


share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It is often called the sampling fraction. Another term that is used for the same thing is sampling ratio.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.