Sign up ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I hope this question is appropriate here - if it isn't let me know and I will remove it.

I am wondering if there is a verb for the following operation: given a set of non-negative numbers, I take their max and then subtract the numbers from the max. This essentially "flips" the order of the numbers and makes the (previous) max zero.

I would like to say something like "I flipped the numbers" or describe it very shortly.

The context is that I am describing various transformations applied to a data set, e.g. "I standardized the data so that mean=5 std=1, then log-transformed the data, and finally flipped it."

Any ideas?

share|cite|improve this question
So.. you have a set $S=\{a,\dots\}$ with $a=\max S$ and you construct $T=\{a-s:s\in S\}$. Is this what you mean? – Karl Kronenfeld Jul 31 '13 at 1:41
This isn't really flipping. The smallest element will still be the smallest element, and the largest element will still be the largest element (that is, it will be 0, while the rest will all be negative numbers). – Ataraxia Jul 31 '13 at 1:46
@Ataraxia: He's taking the set $\{max - a : a \in S\}$, not $\{a - max : a \in S\}$. Bitwise: No, there's no name for this. – Eric Tressler Jul 31 '13 at 1:48
@user1 and Eric yes, that's it. – Bitwise Jul 31 '13 at 1:49
@EricTressler Oh ok, then that is flipping. Sorry for the mistake. – Ataraxia Jul 31 '13 at 1:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.