Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do you refer two commutative squares sharing one side as follows? a diagram

share|cite|improve this question
There is no name for this. – Stefan Hamcke Jul 30 '13 at 20:48
It's a map in the category $\mathcal C^{[3]}$ where $[3]$ is the category $0\to 1\to 2$. Yeah, useless. :) – Thomas Andrews Jul 30 '13 at 20:52
I would refer to the commutative diagram above as "the commutative diagram above". – Servaes Jul 30 '13 at 20:57
If you know about category theorem: If both squares are pushouts, then the outer "square" is a pushout, too. – Stefan Hamcke Jul 30 '13 at 21:06
up vote 3 down vote accepted

They are known as commutative diagrams. They come in various sizes, shapes et cetera.

share|cite|improve this answer
I am not sure that the actual sizing of the diagram matters much;) – Baby Dragon Jul 30 '13 at 21:04
@Ma: As a foreigner I got the impression that you were looking for a proper English generic term here. If you knew this, and were looking for a term for a commutative diagram of this particular form, then I misunderstood, and apologize for the light-hearted tone of the answer. The crowd seems to agree that there is no term for this particular type of a commutative diagram. – Jyrki Lahtonen Jul 30 '13 at 21:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.