Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When finding the mean of grouped data, at some point you need to do: Frequency $\times $ Midpoint = .....

Could someone tell me the name of the answer, does it have a name? Its labeled as fx in alot of places, but i dont actually know what to call it?


share|cite|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

I would normally call it $ f \times m $, although if you want to give it a name you could say that it was an estimate of the total for that class interval (or group).

Sometimes I shorten it to just fm.

share|cite|improve this answer
Ah ok, that sounds reasonable, thank :) – Jamie Jun 15 '11 at 13:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.