Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sorry for the terrible question, but how do you define E-3, which is used in the calculators to indicate that the first 3 decimals in the number are not displayed ?

0.000563 = 5.63E-3

I need to write in my thesis something like: "Please, pay attention that the values are shifted by 3 decimals".


share|cite|improve this question
x.yzwE-3 = x.yzw$\cdot 10^{-3}$. – t.b. Jun 13 '11 at 13:39
@Theo Buehler I actually need to write it down in words. Something like: "Please, pay attention, the values are shifted". – Patrick Jun 13 '11 at 13:52
Well, I'd say: "Please pay attention that the decimal point is shifted three digits to the left because of the decimal exponent $10^{-3}$", but I'm no native speaker. Out of curiosity: What kind of thesis are you writing that you can't assume familiarity with this on the part of your readers? I for one learned that in elementary school, maybe 3rd or 4th grade. By the way: your equality is wrong: 0.000563 = 5.63E-4 – t.b. Jun 13 '11 at 13:57
Instead of closing this answer, why doesn't one of the people voting to close actually, you know, answer it? – user1729 Aug 1 '13 at 15:29
@rschwieb It is about communicating maths. If I am interpreting it correctly, the OP wants to make it clear than when they are writing 5.3 they mean 0.0053. Which is not as uncommon as you might think. – user1729 Aug 1 '13 at 18:48

It depends on what you're writing about. It's probably easier to just write $5.63\times10^{-3}$ in the place of $0.00563$ in a math text. If you really don't want to write the $\times10^{-3}$ (for example, in a table), just say "please note that the values in this table represent the error(or whatever they represent) divided by $1000$."

If you're writing about something physical that has units (for example, distance) write: "Measurement is in millimeters" or "Measured in $\text{mm}$."

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.