Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If you look at the intrinsic geometry of a cone, there's a defect on the point of the cone known as a cone point. The only higher dimensional analogue I've heard of is what you get if you take the Cartesian product of a cone and the real line, where there's a similar defect along an entire line. What's the name of the defect at the point of a hypercone?

Also, there is an extension of the idea of a manifold called a cone point manifold, which is basically a manifold with cone points. The method used to define this doesn't work for the hypercone extension I'm looking for. What's it called, how is it defined, and what source can I cite?

share|cite|improve this question
"conifold" is a good keyword to google for. – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Jul 20 '13 at 18:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.