Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Lets say I want to represent 20 Percent

What do you call/name the "0.2" and "20%" notations

I am calling them Fractional and WholeValue notations for the time being, but wondering if there was something better.

share|cite|improve this question
I call them $1/5$ – Kopper Jun 8 '11 at 22:35
Decimal and percentage, perhaps? – Alex Becker Jun 8 '11 at 22:37
up vote 9 down vote accepted

I would call "0.2" the decimal notation, and "20%" simply the percentage notation.

share|cite|improve this answer

I would call "0.2" a proportion and "20%" a percentage.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.