Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Lets say you've a min and a max value, and based on a percent value, you get the equivalent value, for example:

  • min=10, max=30, perc=50% -> value=20
  • min=10, max=30, perc=10% -> value=12

Is it known by any specific name? thanks in advance!

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The canonical name for what you're talking about is Linear Interpolation - though I've on rare occasions seen it called the 'of-the-way' function; e.g. '10% of the way from 10 to 30'. As you might guess from the name, there are other ways of interpolating between 'start' (your minimum) and 'finish' (your maximum - note that you could always go the other way, from 30 to 10!) values; Spline Interpolation is another very frequent one, often in the form of 'ease-in, ease-out' curves.

share|cite|improve this answer

I suppose this is a very simple form of linear interpolation.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.