Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm calculate the median fractional difference between two vectors (to characterise the error in a quantity with a high dynamic range). If $a/b = 0.1$, the fractional difference is $10$, and if $a/b = 10$, the fractional difference is also 10. My quantity, which is only defined if $x>0$, is defined as

$$ \begin{cases} x, & \mbox{if } x \ge 1 \\ \frac{1}{x}, & \mbox{if } x < 1\end{cases} $$

which is equal to (as $x>0$),

$$ e^{|\ln(x)|}. $$

Do mathematicians have a usual word and symbol for this quantity?

share|cite|improve this question
I have been curious about this quantity as well – frogeyedpeas Jul 9 '13 at 13:38
Are you looking for x if $|x| >= 1$ and $1/x$ if $|x| <= 1$ – frogeyedpeas Jul 9 '13 at 13:44
@frogeyedpeas Right. I didn't think of that because in my practical application, I already know that $x > 0$. The issue becomes more involved if $x$ can be negative, because what is the fractional error if $a/b$ is negative? – gerrit Jul 9 '13 at 13:47
I don't know this of the top of my head, but I would look for this in the theory of continued fractions and around the name of Gauss. – Mlazhinka Shung Gronzalez LeWy Jul 9 '13 at 14:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.