Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is 3d angle addition formula for which I would like to know what it is called in the literature:

Given two vectors $\vec v_1$, $\vec v_2$ at (physicist's) angles $(\theta_1,\,\phi_1)$ and $(\theta_2,\,\phi_2)$, the angle $\Theta$ between the two vectors is given by:

$$\cos \Theta=\cos \theta_1 \cos\theta_2+\sin\theta_1\sin\theta_2\cos(\phi_1-\phi_2)$$

What is the name of this formula?

share|cite|improve this question
It looks an awful lot like the Spherical Law of Cosines. – Blue Jul 8 '13 at 15:18
This is the name I was looking for! Thanks, Blue!! – QuantumDot Jul 12 '13 at 1:35
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Apparently, my comment answered the question. I'll convert the comment to a formal answer in order to get the question out of the Unanswered queue.

The formula looks an awful lot like the Spherical Law of Cosines.

share|cite|improve this answer

I do not know the name of the formula, but it is derived from the dot product in spherical coordinates. See this pdf:

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.