Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sheafs are often denoted by the letter $\mathcal O$. What does this O stand for? To me it seems that more natural choices of symbols for sheaves would be $\mathcal S$ or $\mathcal F$ (for the french faisceau).

share|cite|improve this question
My guess. From the symbol for holomorphic functions. – Mlazhinka Shung Gronzalez LeWy Jul 4 '13 at 13:41
And where does that come from? – Dominik Jul 4 '13 at 13:44
See… – Brad Jul 4 '13 at 14:02
@Brad I think this answers my question. Could you turn that into an answer? – Dominik Jul 4 '13 at 14:10
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Quoting the historical footnote in Grauert/Remmert, Coherent Analytic Sheaves, concerning the origin of the notation $\mathcal{O}$ for the rings of holomorphic functions (and their associated sheaves):

Some people think the symbol $\mathcal{O}$ was chosen in honor of Oka, sometimes it is even said that $\mathcal{O}$ reflects the French pronunciation of holomorphe. The truth is that the symbol was chosen accidentally. In a letter to the authors from March 22, 1982, H. Cartan writes: "Je m'étais simplement inspiré d'une notation utilisée par van der Waerden dans son classique traité 'Moderne Algebra' (cf. par exemple §16 de la 2e édition allemande, p.52)"

share|cite|improve this answer
And why did van der Waerden use it? – Dominik Jul 4 '13 at 14:18
Presumably because Dedekind used $\mathfrak{o}$ for an order ("Ordnung" in German). But that may also be idle speculation, I don't know why. – Daniel Fischer Jul 4 '13 at 14:21
I just learned from Keith Conrad at HSM that your speculation about order is correct:… – user43208 Oct 15 '15 at 4:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.