Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do you call a rectangle whose width/height ratio is between $r$ and $1/r$?

I use the terminology "$r$-balanced rectangle". So, a $1$-balanced rectangle is a square, a $2$-balanced rectangle is a rectangle whose width/height ratio is between $1/2$ and $2$, etc., and an $\infty$-balanced rectangle is just any general rectangle.

Is there a more standard terminology?

share|cite|improve this question
Why is that useful? It only makes sense to introduce terminology if you use something frequently and better even, if it's a fundamental concept. If it turns out to be fundamental in your work, go ahead and give it a name. But I've never encountered this elsewhere and I can't fathom what purpose it could serve. – Raskolnikov Jun 21 '13 at 7:43
I think it would be naïve to close this question just because no-one who has read this question has ever come across such a thing before. That is to say, noone who has read it known the answer...which is a flawed reason for closing! For all we know, these things do have a name and we just do not know it - and so we have a valid question... – user1729 Jun 21 '13 at 8:37
@Raskolnikov: You could go through the list of questions the OP asked to see example applications, e.g. in rectangularizing the square. – MvG Jun 21 '13 at 9:18
@Raskolnikov: It is a terminology question - no effort is needed by an answerer, and no the OP should not be required to give motivation! – user1729 Jun 21 '13 at 9:24
@MvG thank you! Just to give some motivation: my research is related to division of land resources between people. One of the reasonable constraints in dividing land resources is that each land plot should be a balanced rectangle, because an un-balanced rectangle (i.e. a very skinny or a very flat one) is not useful. – Erel Segal-Halevi Jun 21 '13 at 13:19
up vote 0 down vote accepted

The closest term I could find so far is fat rectangles. This term has some applications in computer geometry. See, for example:

  • Agarwal et al, Binary Space Partitions for Fat Rectangles, 2000
  • Tóth, Binary Space Partitions for Axis-Aligned Fat Rectangles, 2008


share|cite|improve this answer

The term "aspect ratio" is sometimes used. By convention it is always bigger than 1, i.e. one always divides the longer side by the shorter. Then your 2-balanced rectangles have aspect ratio at most 2.

share|cite|improve this answer
Yes, I was looking for a terminology for a rectangle whose aspect ratio is at most 2. The references I found call it "2-fat rectangle". – Erel Segal-Halevi Jul 31 '13 at 21:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.