Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Given a positive integer $n$. How to find a Galois extension $K/F$ such that $Gal(K/F)=S_n$?

With the restriction $F=\mathbb{Q}$, this is the Inverse Galois Problem. But if we are allowed to choose $F$ and $K$, I suspect there is a simpler example.

share|cite|improve this question

How about $F=\mathbb Q(T_1, \ldots, T_{n-1})$ and $K=\mathbb F[X]/(X^n+T_{n-1}X^{n-1}+\ldots +T_0)$?

share|cite|improve this answer
Why is $K$ Galois over $F$? Maybe the construction needs to be done several times to get a Galois extension. Or simply take $K$ to be the splitting field of $X^n+T_{n-1}X^{n-1}+\cdots+T_0$ over $F$? – user83058 Jun 19 '13 at 6:02

Do you know the concept of general polynomials? you can read the online course notes by J.S.Milne :, here you will find your answer clearly.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.