Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was wondering if there is a name of the function that maps $(x_1, x_2,..., x_n)$ to $(x_1, x_2, ..., x_n, 0, 0, ..., 0)$? I know when we do it the other way around it's called the projection. And when there is no 0's it's called the identity map. Is there a special name for this one? Thanks!

share|cite|improve this question
"natural injection", perhaps. – David Mitra Jun 13 '13 at 13:36
"obvious embedding"? – Ilya Jun 13 '13 at 13:38
"natural embedding". Other permutations work too. – vadim123 Jun 13 '13 at 13:39
I've always heard it referred to as the inclusion map. This term can be used whenever we are identifying some object as a subspace of a "larger" one. – Tom Oldfield Jun 13 '13 at 13:41
Thanks guys! I reckon "inclusion map" is the one I was looking for(kind of forgot the term after years). The way I present it probably confused people. And that's probably the reason that you guys gave many different answers. – Evariste Jun 15 '13 at 1:33
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I've usually seen maps like this referred to as "the inclusion map". It is often used whenever we identify some object as a subspace of a larger one.

Maps of this kind are injective and linear, so give a well defined injective linear map (or more generally, a homomorphism of modules). If we have such an inclusion $f:U\rightarrow V$ where $U$ and $V$ are groups (or vector spaces, or $R$ modules) then by the isomorphism theorem of your choice, we have $U \cong f(U)$ as groups (or vector spaces, or $R$ modules) which is exactly what we would expect, and just agrees with the fact that we expect the original object $U$ to be somehow embedded in the larger one $V$.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks a lot Tom! – Evariste Jun 14 '13 at 7:21
@Evariste No problem, happy to help! – Tom Oldfield Jun 14 '13 at 8:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.