Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if there was a symbol for "has" so intead of saying $x \in A$, we could say something like "$A$ has $x$", they both mean the same thing but I was just wondering if there was another way to say it.


share|cite|improve this question
Do you mean to say $x$ is an element of $A$, or are you looking for some symbol other than $\in$ to denote 'has'? – Douglas B. Staple Jun 11 '13 at 2:24
A \ni x $A \ni x$ – Rahul Jun 11 '13 at 2:24
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I believe I have seen $\ni$ used for this purpose. That is, $x\in A \iff A\ni x$

share|cite|improve this answer
In Unicode it is called "Contains As Member" and is encoded at U+220B. – Lee Sleek Jun 11 '13 at 3:32

The better term to use would be "$A$ includes $x$" instead of "$A$ has $x$", and as Rahul quickly answered, that can be expressed by $A \ni x \iff x\in A$.

Set inclusion is the conventional concept for describing "element - set" relations, which can be discussed with respect to a set which includes an element ($A\ni x$) or an element being "included in" or "belonging to" a set ($x \in A$).

This is analogous to the conventional reference to the relations of set containment, encompassing the relations of $A$ containing another set $B$: $A\supset B$ and of a set B being contained in a set $A$: $B\subset A$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.