Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a special name for an outer product of a vector with itself? Is it a special case of a Gramian? I've seen them a thousand times, but I have no idea if such product has a name.

Update: The case of outer product I'm talking about is $\vec{u}\vec{u}^T$ where $\vec{u}$ is a column vector.

Does is have a name in the form of something of $\vec{u}$?


share|cite|improve this question
The outer product of any vector with itself is always 0, since the outer product is skew symmetric. (EDIT: I would have made this a comment, but I don't have enough rep to do so on this stack exchange site ). – Mikola May 25 '11 at 18:31
@Mikola: there are two things that get called the "outer product," and that's only one of them: see . @Phonon: what definition of outer product are you working with? The coordinate one? – Qiaochu Yuan May 25 '11 at 18:35
I updated my response. Thanks for the comments. – Phonon May 25 '11 at 18:40
up vote 3 down vote accepted

In statistics, we call it the "sample autocorrelation matrix", which is like an estimation of autocorrelation matrix based on observed samples.

share|cite|improve this answer
I guess this is the closes to what I'm looking for. Thanks. – Phonon May 27 '11 at 14:57

The result is a particular case of a dyadic tensor. Is that what you are looking for?

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.