Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an accepted name for abelian groups of the form $\prod_{i=1}^n \mathbb{Z}_{p_i}$ for some primes $p_1,\dotsc,p_n$? (i.e: direct products of cyclic groups of prime orders, or in other words - direct products of elementary abelian groups).

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

If the primes are distinct, these are the cyclic groups of square-free order.

If the primes are not distinct, these are the abelian groups of square-free exponent.

share|cite|improve this answer
On the other hand, direct product of elementary abelian groups is just as good, if not better. – lhf May 24 '11 at 11:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.