Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the proper name for a pair of vertices connected by an edge?

NOTE: Lots of googling didn't yield an answer.

DISCLAIMER: I am no math expert.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Adjacent vertices

share|cite|improve this answer
isn't there a more concise definition? – jldupont May 20 '11 at 20:27
I thought you were looking for the term which fits the definition you provided. If you want a more concise term then you can use it in the following manner "Vertices A & B are adjacent". – Jacob May 20 '11 at 20:29
@jldupont: are you looking for a term or a definition? Besides "adjacent vertices" I can only think of "neighboring vertices" as far as terms. These are already relatively short terms. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could define a shorter term yourself, but I don't really see the point of this. – Qiaochu Yuan May 20 '11 at 20:44
Sorry: I meant as per question i.e. a concise name. – jldupont May 21 '11 at 0:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.