Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The fraction in question is

$$-\frac{12}{\sqrt[3]{12\sqrt{849} + 108} - \sqrt[3]{12\sqrt{849} - 108}}$$

And was reached in calculating the solution to $x^4 - x - 1 = 0$. I've tried all the standard methods, including $(a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2$, but that doesn't work for cube roots, because once you have the square of one the two middle terms will not cancel each other out.

share|cite|improve this question
Have you thought about multiplying top and bottom by a²+ab+b² with a and b your cubed radicals? I am not saying it works, just a thought. – imranfat May 23 '13 at 16:55
Since $ab = 110592$, that term would just serve to increase the fraction by a huge amount and do little good. – Lee Sleek May 23 '13 at 17:00
up vote 4 down vote accepted

As imranfat suggests in his comment, you should use the identity $$ \frac1{\sqrt[3]a-\sqrt[3]b} = \frac{\sqrt[3]{a^2}+\sqrt[3]{ab}+\sqrt[3]{b^2}}{a-b} $$ which can be verified via cross-multiplication. In your case, take $a=12\sqrt{849} + 108$ and $b=12\sqrt{849} - 108$ and then work through simplifying the resulting expression. When I do so, I obtain $$ -\frac{48+\left(12 \sqrt{849}-108\right)^{2/3}+\left(108+12 \sqrt{849}\right)^{2/3}}{18}. $$

share|cite|improve this answer
...Which further simplifies to $-\frac{8 + \sqrt[3]{12\sqrt{849} + 620} + \sqrt[3]{12\sqrt{849} - 620}}{3}$. – Lee Sleek May 23 '13 at 18:29
Square each of $12\sqrt{849} \pm 108$, giving you single radicals. Then you can factor out 216 from each of them, place that in front as 6, and divide the whole fraction by six. – Lee Sleek May 23 '13 at 23:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.