Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a proper English term for Z in this example?

a = [ 1, 2, 4 ]

b = [ 1, 1, 1 ]

Z = [ 2, 3, 5 ]

share|cite|improve this question
I'd assume "set sum" would be a sufficient term to describe Z. – Neil May 18 '11 at 13:33
@Neil: that's a fairly confusing term. What is "set" describing? – Qiaochu Yuan May 18 '11 at 13:47
what you describe are not sets. In mathematical parlance, sets have distinct elements. – Qiaochu Yuan May 18 '11 at 13:47
Also generally sets are not ordered. I would call them sequences, then Z is the sum of sequences a and b. – Ross Millikan May 18 '11 at 13:51
Or vectors? Sum of vectors? – Fabian May 18 '11 at 14:03
up vote 7 down vote accepted

You can say that $Z$ is the "pointwise sum of $a$ and $b$" or "coordinate-wise sum".

This can be seen as addition in a three dimensional vector space (or free module).

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.