Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A 1-1 function is called injective. What is an n-1 function called ?

I'm thinking about homomorphisms. So perhaps homojective ?

Onto is surjective. 1-1 and onto is bijective.

What about n-1 and onto ? Projective ? Polyjective ?

I think n-m and onto should be hyperjective as in hypergroups.

share|improve this question
n-jective? :) ... –  Blue Sep 3 '10 at 7:17
These aren't called anything in particular, but I've seen algebraic geometers denote that a function is $n$ to $1$ by writing $n:1$ above an arrow between sets. You have to keep in mind that these functions usually arise either as finite covering maps or polynomials (or both at the same time), so it's usually clear when one actually has to use that a given function has that property. –  Gunnar Þór Magnússon Nov 24 '10 at 21:59
A slightly related concept from complex function theory and the theory of automorphic functions is valence. A holomorphic function on an open domain of the complex plane is said to be univalent if it is 1-to-1, and $p$-valent if it is at most $p$-to-1. See also eom.springer.de/m/m065560.htm –  Willie Wong Nov 25 '10 at 0:09

2 Answers 2

n-1 + onto is sometimes called n-fold cover (by analogy).

share|improve this answer

IMHO, an n to 1 function should be called "an n to 1 function." Simple, decriptive, to the point. Adding a new term in this case just muddies the waters.

share|improve this answer
+1: I think injective and surjective already confuse matters! (I always forget which is which :)) –  Aryabhata Sep 3 '10 at 16:55
'sur' means on in French so surjective=onto is the way I remember it –  WWright Sep 4 '10 at 16:38
An injective function injects one set into another, and a surjective function... doesn't. –  Qiaochu Yuan Nov 24 '10 at 20:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.